Meetings were held at the VFW Post in the summer of
1953 to reorganize and reform the company. The first Civil Officers of
Mechanicstown Engine and Chemical Co., No. 1 after reorganization in 1953
Peter J. Pulos,
On May 15, 1954 members purchased two lots from V&H Burghard at
Ridgewood Avenue and Victory Street at the cost of $1000.00 to be paid of
at $10.00 per month with 5% interest. This is the site of the present
Members sold "Bonds" at $5.00 each to raise funds to build a
station. On May 23, 1954 a 1929 Sanford, 650 GPM Pump was purchased from
Minisink Hose Co., Unionville, for $1000.00. On June 1, 1954 building
began on the firehouse and in the fall of 1954 it was completed.
In November 1954 Mechanicstown joined the O.C.V.F.A. In September 1955 a
tank truck was purchased from Clarence Elston for $100.00.
In 1958 attempts were made to form a Fire Protection District within the
town of Wallkill and maps with boundaries were prepared by Eustance and
MEMBERS OF THE COMPANY
Warren Bullis served as the first Chief in 1957.
There were 95 members of the company in 1957. In 1966 the Fire Police were
organized, with Richard Johnson, Captain.